Sunday, July 27, 2014

FaceBook At Its Finest

Once I arrived at the hospital, I kicked everyone around my husband's bed in the emergency room out-- including my mother. Security told me that only one person could be there, and that person was going to be me. They both left. My mother went to pick up my twins at camp.

 About 10 minutes after I arrived, an ultrasound technician came in with an ultrasound machine and started scanning his organs. She was measuring the sizes of things on his organs. I saw the words "liver," "kidney" and others, but I didn't know what she was looking for. I imagined it was masses. 

Suddenly, my phone started ringing. It was someone from my husband's job. I declined the call. A minute later, someone else called. Again, I declined the call. Thirty seconds later, someone else called me. I texted the first person that I would call him back in a few. He told me that I needed to call him back immediately.

I stepped out of the room and called him.  "Candy," he said, "It's all over town. Everyone knows."

My heart dropped into my feet. My husband was a private person. I hadn't told many people-- It was barely 11am. He proceeded to tell me that someone posted it on FaceBook, using my husband's name (which I will never use on FB, in this blog or anywhere else online), and everyone knew about it. I started getting a flood of emails, text messages, FaceBook messages and phone calls soon thereafter.

I was shocked. Not only was it posted on FaceBook, but incorrect information was posted. That's why I directed people to ask my dear friend Sally what was going on. I only gave Sally information about what was happening, and she would tell the people that asked her.

Well, so many people were asking Sally for info, that she started a FaceBook page called "Prayers for the Cain Family." I had no idea that she made it until the following morning after she did. Honestly, I can't even tell you about the time sequence of everything-- I don't think Sally made that page until the second or third day of this ordeal, because there was such a messed up game of "Telephone" going on. Sally did it out of the kindness of her heart to help me. (I love you, Sally.)

Unfortunately, the same people were taking the information that Sally was posting and twisting it. After a couple of days of nonsense, I had Sally delete the page. It's a shame, too. It helped me immensely because so many people wanted to find out what was going on and offer their support, and this was a way for me to avoid spending time talking to them.

I never told my husband anything about what was going on with FaceBook and the person that started the shitstorm. He still doesn't know, and he won't know until he is all better. There's a lot that he won't know until he is home and better, as it will stress him out and do more damage than good.

I thought I was doing good by telling certain people what was wrong with my husband and what we were going through-- More specifically, what he was going through. It came back to bite me in the ass because, frankly, some people are just self-serving, evil individuals. Some people thrive on sympathy they receive when someone that is perceived as close to them gets sick or dies. It's disgusting and inappropriate.

And that is all I have to say about that.



1 comment:

  1. Candice,
    My thoughts and especially my prayers are with you and your family and your husband. If you need anything I could help with, please let me know. Stella

    ReplyDelete